Legal Malpractice Lawyers Serving, Baltimore, Annapolis & Washington, D.C.
Unfortunately, the sad truth is that in some instances lawyers fall short in fulfilling their duties to their clients. In certain instances, these actions rise to the level of malpractice. While no attorney takes pleasure in suing another member of the profession, we represent clients in legal malpractice cases in order to achieve justice for our clients and to help uphold the standards of the legal profession if we believe they have been violated.
What is legal malpractice?
This is a difficult question to answer, as legal malpractice may take a number of different forms, ranging from minor instances of negligence to intentionally fraudulent conduct. Common types of legal malpractice include:
- Failure to meet court deadlines
- Failure to file a lawsuit within the applicable statute of limitations
- Failure to advise clients as to the legal import of documents
- Failure to present available evidence in support of a client’s claim
- Abuse or misuse of a client's trust account, including commingling trust account funds with the attorney's personal account
In a lawsuit against an attorney for negligence, the party bringing the lawsuit must plead and prove three elements: (1) the employment of the attorney; (2) the attorney’s breach of a reasonable duty; (3) the attorney’s breach of duty was the proximate cause of the client’s injury.
What is the standard of care?
The standard of care is the requirement that an attorney exercise the degree of care and skill that a reasonably competent lawyer acting in similar circumstances would use. An attorney breaches the standard of care when he or she does not use the degree of care and skill that a reasonably competent lawyer acting in similar circumstances would use. Legal malpractice occurs when a person suffers damages due to their attorney’s negligence. Some common examples of legal malpractice include:
- The lawyer missing set deadlines to file paperwork regarding the case
- Allowing their client’s case to be dismissed without doing their part to fight the dismissal
- Being careless when collecting evidence and composing paperwork regarding the case
- Not thoroughly investigating the case
- Acting in a manner that suits their interests more than their client’s interests
If you believe you have suffered damages due to your lawyer’s negligence, the legal malpractice team at Henderson Law, LLC is here for you. The attorneys at Henderson Law, LLC have handled many legal malpractice cases. We have the skills needed to protect your rights during this difficult process. We will review the facts of your case, explain your rights, and advise you about how to proceed. If you feel that you have been wronged by an attorney, it is important that you call our team as soon as possible, as a failure to act timely could bar your claim.
Henderson Law, LLC is accepting new cases in the District of Columbia and Maryland. Henderson Law, LLC is willing to take new clients across the State of Maryland, including, but not limited to, new cases arising in the following cities: Annapolis, Crofton, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Crownsville, Davidsonville, Edgewater, Millersville, Odenton, Severna Park, and Pasadena. Please call Henderson Law, LLC for an initial consultation.